Package: bitmeter (1.2-0ubuntu2) [universe]
Links for bitmeter
Download Source Package bitmeter:
Original Maintainer (usually from Debian):
- Raphaël Doursenaud
It should generally not be necessary for users to contact the original maintainer.
- Homepage [devel.tlrmx.org]
diagnosis tool for JACK audio software
As its name might suggest, the bitmeter operates at the bare metal of JACK's I/O layer, looking at the 32 binary digits in each individual sample.
There are three main areas to the bitmeter display:
* Statistics, at the top, including the range of sample values and keeping a count of irregular and illegal sample values such as NaN. The statistics on the right are cumulative, and should ordinarily read zero. * Sign & Mantissa, a row of 24 coloured indicators showing the sign (positive or negative) and mantissa of the samples. * Adjusted scale, 40 smaller coloured indicators.
The sign and mantissa statistics are show as coloured indicators which map to bits in the samples processed by the bitmeter, with the left most indicator representing the sign bit, and then the mantissa left to right from most significant to least significant. The colour is based on the percentage of samples in which the associated bit was 1 over a period of 100ms or so. Blue indicates that all samples were 0, a light green-blue for up to 33%, green for 33-66% (i.e. about half), and orange for more than 66%, then finally red if all samples are 1, a possible "stuck bit". Gray is used when no samples touched the associated bit.
The "adjusted scale" shows each sample bit on a absolute scale, adjusted for the exponent of the sample, so that internally the bitmeter records a 280-bit binary real. For simplicity only 40 bits are displayed, the 8 left-most bits are the integer part, and the remaining 32 bits after the marker are fractional bits.
The audio range of the adjusted scale is from about 200dB below FS to 40dB above, which would be excessive for audio work but proves useful in diagnosing problems at a lower level.
The sample rate reported by bitmeter is directly from JACK. It's not used to perform any calculations and is purely informative.
Other Packages Related to bitmeter
- dep: jackd (>= 0.50.0)
- JACK Audio Connection Kit (server and example clients)
- dep: libatk1.0-0 (>= 1.29.3)
- The ATK accessibility toolkit
- dep: libcairo2 (>= 1.2.4)
- The Cairo 2D vector graphics library
- dep: libfontconfig1 (>= 2.4.0)
- generic font configuration library - runtime
- dep: libfreetype6 (>= 2.2.1)
- FreeType 2 font engine, shared library files
- dep: libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.16.0)
- The GLib library of C routines
- dep: libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.8.0)
- The GTK+ graphical user interface library
- dep: libjack0 (>= 0.118+svn3796)
- JACK Audio Connection Kit (libraries)
- dep: libpango1.0-0 (>= 1.14.0)
- Layout and rendering of internationalized text