Package: cron (3.0pl1-106ubuntu5)
Links for cron
Download Source Package cron:
Original Maintainers (usually from Debian):
- Javier Fernandez-Sanguino Pen~a
- Steve Greenland
It should generally not be necessary for users to contact the original maintainer.
process scheduling daemon
The cron daemon is a background process that runs particular programs at particular times (for example, every minute, day, week or month), as specific in the in a crontab. By default, users may also create crontabs of their own so that processes are run on their behalf.
Users may also install crontabs so that processes are run on their behalf, though this feature can be disabled or restricted to particular users.
Output from the commands is usually mailed to the system administrator (or to the user in question); you should probably install a mail system as well so that you can receive these messages.
This cron package is configured by default to do some basic daily system maintenance tasks, such as ensuring creating copying key system files. Additional maintenance tasks are available on external packages, such as 'checksecurity'
The lockfile-progs package is recommended as it will prevent /etc/cron.daily/standard from running multiple times if something gets jammed.
Packages providing cron
- Bruce's cron system
Other Packages Related to cron
- dep: adduser
- add and remove users and groups
- dep: debianutils (>= 1.7)
- Miscellaneous utilities specific to Debian
- dep: libpam-runtime (>= 1.0.1-11)
- Runtime support for the PAM library
- dep: libpam0g (>= 0.99.7.1)
- Pluggable Authentication Modules library
- dep: libselinux1 (>= 1.32)
- SELinux runtime shared libraries
- dep: lsb-base (>= 3.2-12ubuntu4)
- Linux Standard Base 4.0 init script functionality
- sug: anacron (>= 2.0-1)
- cron-like program that doesn't go by time
- sug: checksecurity
- basic system security checks
- sug: exim4
- metapackage to ease Exim MTA (v4) installation
- or postfix
- High-performance mail transport agent
- or mail-transport-agent
- virtual package provided by citadel-mta, courier-mta, dma, esmtp-run, exim4-daemon-heavy, exim4-daemon-light, lsb-invalid-mta, masqmail, msmtp-mta, nullmailer, postfix, sendmail-bin, ssmtp, xmail
- sug: lockfile-progs
- Programs for locking and unlocking files and mailboxes
- sug: logrotate
- Log rotation utility